Friday, December 05, 2008

Making Your Workouts Work With a Fitness Buddy

It seems that for me the theme of this week has been accountability in business, in fitness, and in life. It is amazing the difference it can make in ones desire and motivation to take action, to be consistent, to stay true to one’s word when there is someone to report to. I have had the great fortune of having a weight training partner for the past 6-months and it has been a great benefit to us both as we’ve been committed and consistent to our weight training regime. Whereas, before we started working out together we always did our cardio, but were inconsistent with our weight training. Last night I had an impromptu coaching session with my business mentor. She challenged me and told me she wanted a detailed report on my activities today. I was not about to let her or myself down, so I took massive action today and accomplished much. Earlier today, I was speaking with a friend who invited me to a party tonight. I told him I wasn’t going to be able to attend because I am running 20 miles at 6am tomorrow. He responded like I had three eyes and hair on my teeth. “Why in the world are you running 20 miles and why are you doing it at 6am?” That’s simple – I’m training for a marathon, I’m training with a team and the team is counting on me to be there. Most people would think to themselves, "well there will be at least 40 other people there to run in the morning so if I don't show up it won't be a big deal and no one will even notice." Perish the thought! It is amazing the support each team member contributes to the successful training of each other team member. When you know the team is going to be there at 6am to train, you don’t want to have to run all those miles by yourself, then you don't even consider hitting the snooze button. A coach, a mentor, a training partner, a personal trainer, or a team can be one of the most valuable assets in reaching your goals.

Earlier this week, I was not able to make it to the gym to meet my workout partner, Kim on our appointed weight lifting day and I felt badly about letting her down, because we both really look forward to our training sessions. Did she just go home? NO! She stayed and did the workout. Today Kim was sick and didn’t make it to the gym. I was already there doing my cardio workout. I rolled off the stair mill and hit the weights. Going home or skipping weight training never crossed my mind. What I’ve found is the few times that Kim is unable to make it to the gym, I’m just as motivated to complete my weight workout as when she is there. In speaking with Kim, I know she feels the same, she knows I’m going to ask her how her workout was and she doesn’t want to tell me that she bailed out of weight training just because I wasn’t there. I think she actually takes pride in being able to say “Melissa, I kicked my own butt today. You would’ve been proud.”

Having a fitness buddy, workout partner, or personal trainer is a great asset any time of year, but especially now during the holiday season. We get busy with holiday parties, shopping, and working extra hours to make up for the time we’ll be taking off from work. With the cooler weather, the sun rising later and setting earlier, our motivation to workout can wane. Having someone to report to and or someone depending on you to show up can be that little extra nudge we require to be consistent with our workouts during the holidays and throughout the winter months.

Suggestions in choosing a fitness buddy and making your workouts work:

  • Choose someone you actually like to spend time with, a person who is motivated and who will hold you accountable. You don't want to work out with a waffler.
  • Make sure that your workout schedule can be consistent – same days, same time each week. Also be willing to be flexible as occasional adjustments are required. Choose someone who is punctual.
  • Choose someone who has a similar level of fitness to you. You don’t have to be able to lift the same amount, but it is important that you can both do the same exercises. If you are doing cardio together, make sure if you are running, walking or cycling outside that you are both at a very similar level otherwise both of your workouts will be sub-par. If for some reason you are at different fitness levels, be sure that you can each do the workout at your own pace, while still doing it together. i.e. You are walking on the treadmill at 3.5 mph, 4% incline and your buddy is walking on the treadmill next to you at 2.8 mph, 2% incline.
  • Make sure your workouts are planned ahead of time. Don’t show up to workout and say “what should we do today.” Know before you go. Have a plan and work your plan. As Jim Rohn says, those who fail to plan, plan to fail.

Success to you!

Melissa Guthrie

BSc Nutritional Science

BSc Exercise Physiology

ACE Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor

New Leaf Certified Metabolic Technician

Triathlete/Runner

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home