Thursday, April 30, 2009

Kids Just Wanna Be Fit

I was speaking with one of my nutrition coaching clients yesterday and what I heard brought a smile to my face and joy to my heart. We were talking about how the decision that her and her husband have made to improve their nutrition has impacted their young children as well. They have a 5 year old son and a 1 year old daughter. My client was telling me that her son has decided that he wants to eat exactly what his mom is eating for breakfast every morning, he is focused on drinking more water and he’s going around school telling all the other kids that he is eating healthy now. I LOVE IT!!



You see, kids naturally want to be healthy & fit, actually we all do. I don't think anyone consciously decides "I want to age prematurely, be sick, disease ridden, tired and worn out." We are hard-wired for health, fitness & wellness. When a child or young adult establishes the importance of healthy living in their own lives, then they are much more likely to maintain those healthy habits for a lifetime, they have the ability to be a positive influence on their family members and their peers and they can affect the course of health and fitness that their future family will follow. What I’m saying is not just philosophy or theory – it is truth. I know because I am living proof.



When I began my health transformation at the age of twelve, my commitment to daily exercise throughout my teen years motivated my mother to begin exercising more consistently. When I cleaned up my own nutrition, and asked my mother to stop buying certain unhealthy foods and begin buying more nutritionally dense foods, well her nutrition improved too. I have had the opportunity and privilege of being a positive role model, an inspiration, and a mentor to countless friends, peers, business associates, and of course, clients.

I am not sure if my clients understand the incredible gift they are giving to their two young children. I commend and congratulate them, and all parents who follow suit.



It is such an honor for me to be affiliated with Chances for Children http://www.chancesforchildrenaz.com/. I am grateful to Janell Bolen, Susan Loken, Erin Dray and countless others who volunteer their time, energy, and resources to the cause of eradicating childhood obesity and improving the health and fitness of children who do not have a home environment that supports healthy eating and exercise. Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like to know how you can contribute and assist in our mission. 1.800.775.0712 ext 7015



Call To Action:



1. Be an Example: make a decision to improve one aspect of your health. For example: Go to the gym, take your lunch to work, make dinner instead of ordering out, drink water instead of soda, hire a fitness trainer or nutrition coach (I know a really good one :). Our actions speak louder than words.



2. Encourage a child or young adult to make a healthy choice today. For example: encourage them to play outside instead of playing video games or passively watching TV, support them in enrolling in an extra-curricular athletic activity, encourage them to drink water instead of fruit juice, gatorade or soda, encourage them to eat a piece of fruit or veggies instead of chips, cookies or candy.




To Your Best Health,

Melissa Guthrie

BSc Nutritional Science

BSc Exercise Physiology

ACE Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor

New Leaf Certified Metabolic Technician

Triathlete/Runner

Healthy Cooking Enthusiast

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home