Friday, December 12, 2008

MG's Favorite Bread Recipes

[imagine me singing] When the dog barks, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad...I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad... Hopefully, you've seen the "Sound of Music" so you are familiar with the tune in which I was singing to.

One of my absolute favorite things is homemade bread. In fact, I love homemade bread so much that I stopped buying bread at the grocery store when I was in college. I've been making my own bread ever since. I remember the day...It was a Saturday and I had been studying for an upcoming exam. I took a break to run to Wal-Mart and pick up some household items. While I was there I strolled through the kitchen appliance department and found that there was a bread machine on sale for $40.00. One my meager college income $40 was still quite a bit of money. I figured I could sacrifice some other things in order to justify the purchase, not to mention I figured I'd be saving money by making my own bread. Well, I believe that was one of the best $40 I've ever spent. That was back in 1999 and I still have the same bread machine. I still use it every week, it works like a charm and has never required any service or maintance work. An interesting side note is that my Mom received as a gift, a very expensive ($200) bread machine manufactured out of Japan. No matter what we did that thing could never make a decent loaf of bread. I think she either sold it in a garage sale or it is boxed up and sitting in her garage.

I know that not everyone has a bread machine or the patience to make yeast bread from scratch. I thought I'd share my favorite whole grain breads that are made without yeast. These breads get rave reviews. I love using these breads for a hearty sandwich or as a companion to soup, stew or salad. The Rye variation makes the most amazing Reuben on the planet. These are also great breads to take to a party or pot-luck. Enjoy!

Melissa Guthrie’s Quick & Hearty Multi-Grain Bread

1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 ¼ cup Spelt flour
½ cup rolled oats, quick cooking
¼ cup wheat bran
¼ oatbran
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 egg or 2 egg whites
1 ½ cup organic skim milk (soy milk, almond milk, rice milk or any other non-dairy milk can be substituted)
3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce or nonfat plain yogurt.
¼ cup honey
Optional: 1/3 cup chopped nuts or seeds ( 1 or a combination of the following: walnuts, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, etc)

Heat oven to 350F. Spray the bottom of an 8-inch round casserole dish or a bread-loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine all flours, oats, brans, baking powder & salt. Mix well.

In small bowl, beat the egg. Add milk, applesauce & honey; blend well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once; stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Gently fold in nuts/seeds if desired. Spread dough in to spray coated pan. Bake at 350F for 42 – 47 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.

Yield: 1 (16-slice) loaf



Melissa Guthrie’s Quick & Hearty Rye Bread

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup rye flour
½ cup rolled oats, quick cooking
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
¾ tsp caraway seeds
½ tsp fresh orange zest
1 egg or 2 egg whites
1 ½ cup organic skim milk (soy milk, almond milk, rice milk or any other non-dairy milk can be substituted)
3 Tbsp nonfat plain yogurt.
¼ cup honey

Heat oven to 350F. Spray the bottom of an 8-inch round casserole dish or a bread-loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine all flours, oats, brans, baking powder & salt. Mix well. Stir in caraway seeds & orange zest

In small bowl, beat the egg. Add milk, yogurt & honey; blend well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once; stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Spread dough in to spray coated pan. Bake at 350F for 42 – 47 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan.

Yield: 1 (16-slice) loaf



To Your Best Health,
Melissa Guthrie
BSc Nutritional Science, BSc Exercise Physiology
ACE Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
New Leaf Certified Metabolic Technician
Triathlete/Runner
Healthy Cooking Enthusiast

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home