Friday, June 19, 2009

Fitness with a Focus

Fitness with a Focus

When I am doing a strategy session with a new client, we spend a significant amount of time talking about and defining specific goals related to their health, fitness, and nutrition. Have a goal to focus on is key to motivation and plays a very important role when challenges pop up, as they most certainly will. One of my favorite saying is “I see only my objective, the obstacles must yield” - Napoleon. Or stated another way, when the goal is big enough the obstacles don't matter.

The folks that tend to struggle the most with being consistent and persistent are those who have not set a meaningful goals or have not subdued their limiting beliefs. Others just have a low discouragement threshold or are too impatient. What I've found is the best way to move over, through or around these obstacles is to have a fitness focus that is outside of oneself, one that is far bigger than “self-gratification” or a number on a scale.

I have some personal experience with this which stretches back to my days in college. It was my freshman year that I really began to LOVE running and within a few years I was running races. I liked the challenge of racing and always trying to do better than I did at the previous race. However, there was something tugging at my heart that said “who are you running for?” I was running for my own health and fitness. I was running to challenge myself physically, mentally (racing is a big mental game). This thought kept leading me to ponder - is there someone else I should be running for? I often thought how I really wanted to run for my Lord - to bring honor and glory to Him. As I prayed, I would always express gratitude for my athletic abilities and tell God that I wanted all of my athletic pursuits to be for his glory. I received a feeling that God accepted my offering and this desire of my heart, yet there was still a nudge to run for something else or someone else.


It was not too long before I was introduced to a charity organization called Team in Training - they are a non-profit organization that fund research and patient aid for the Lymphoma & Leukemia Society. Their cause and mission penetrated my heart and I knew that this was the cause I was to run for. Even though I didn't personally know anyone who had ever suffered from these types of cancers, I felt the importance of supporting and running in honor of those who were less fortunate than healthy, fit ME. I ran with Team in Training for many years and it brought a whole new level of purpose to my training, my competing and to my general fitness.

Since that time, I've been introduced to another non-profit endurance training program called Chances for Children. Although I truly loved the people I met and the experiences I had through my involvement with Team in Training. There was something POWERFUL about Chances for Children, which called to my heart like nothing had before. Their cause and mission filled every fiber of my being. You see, their focus is to eliminate childhood obesity by teaching grade school (in many cases underprivileged kids) how to develop fit and healthy lifestyles. Chances for Children raises money to purchase running shoes for these kids, to set up running and fitness programs in their schools, to pay the entry fees for thousands of kids to run races each year and thus teach them how to set goals, work hard and achieve. As a once Fat Kid who went through my own amazing journey to fitness, and now as I am a fitness and nutrition professional, it is a dream come true to be part of an endurance training program such as Team Chances. I am privileged to be able to work with the Team Chances member athletes and soon-to-be the children and their families on their nutrition. My heart has found its home and my fitness and racing has an even clearer focus.

I encourage those of you who may be struggling with your own health and fitness and who could benefit from having a goal and focus bigger than YOU - come be part of the Chances for Children Community. Come improve your own health and fitness, meet incredible people, and make a huge impact in the health and fitness of kids all over the state. I can promise the experience will be priceless and rewarding beyond your expectations. You can learn more about Chances for Children and Team Chances at http://www.chancesforchildrenaz.com/

Melissa Guthrie

Triumph Training Nutrition & Fitness



Calling all Walkers & Runners!!
“TEAM CHANCES”
Information Meeting for 2009/2010 Marathon & 1/2 Marathon Training Programs
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
6:00 pm @ Sole Sports

(Rural & Warner in Tempe)


Whether you want to train for your first marathon or 1/2 marathon or whether you are a marathon veteran, training with coach Susan Loken and Team Chances will assist you in having a training and racing experience that is second to none! Groups forming for…Tucson Marathon, PF Chang's Rock 'n Roll Marathon & 1/2 Marathon and Carlsbad Marathon & 1/2 Marathon.

ALL Team Chances Information Meeting Dates
June
· 23rd Tempe

July
· 21st Maricopa
· 22nd Tempe
· 23rd Scottsdale
· 29th Phoenix
August
· 4th Maricopa
· 12th Tempe
· 13th Phoenix
· 19th Scottsdale

Location of Meetings
Tempe…Sole Sports 1006 E. Warner Rd. Suite 104 Tempe, AZ 85284
Scottsdale…Endurance Rehab 9376 E. Bahia Dr. #D103 Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phoenix…Endurance Rehab 4440 N. 36th St. Suite 240 Phoenix, AZ 85018
Maricopa…Chamber of Commerce Maricopa

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home