Monday, May 31, 2010

New Recipes for Healthy Salads

Today is the final day of May and in case you didn’t know May is National Salad Month. I have been creating and enjoying fabulous salads all month. Here are just a few. Fortunately, you’ll be able to enjoy many of my favorite salads in my soon to be released cookbook. You’ll notice amounts are approximate. I am a recipe creator and the first time I create something I go by feel, so amounts have not yet been dialed in. However, I enjoyed these salads so much I wanted to share it right away.

Creamy Black Bean & Corn Salad

  • 1 (15 oz) can Black Beans, drained & rinsed
  • ~ ½ cup sweet Corn, canned & drained or frozen, thawed
  • ~ ½ - 2/3 cup Lowfat or fat free cottage cheese
  • ~ 2/3 to ¾ cup Chunky Salsa
  • ~ ½ cup Diced bell pepper, red or green
  • ~1/4 cup Canned Green chiles, optional
  • ~1/4 - 1/3 cup chopped green onion, optional
  • ~ 1/2 to 1 TBS Taco Seasoning, optional
  • ~ ¼ to ½ tsp Cumin, optional

In bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir to combine. Can be eaten as is or as a dip or atop a bed of leafy greens. Can be eaten cold or hot.

Balsamic Broccoli Cauliflower Salad

  • 1 ½ cups Fresh Broccoli florets, cut small
  • 1 ½ cups Fresh Cauliflower florets, cut small
  • ~ ¾ to 1 cup Shredded carrots
  • ~ 1 – 1 ½ cup Shredded green or purple cabbage, optional
  • ~ 1/3 to ½ cup Raisins or craisins
  • ~ 1/3 to ½ cup Slivered raw almonds, chopped raw walnuts, or raw sunflower seeds
  • ~ ½ cup Plain nonfat yogurt
  • ~ 1/3 – ½ cup Mayo, light or nonfat
  • ~ 1 to 2 TBS Balsamic vinegar
  • Sea Salt, to taste
  • ~ 1 TBS EVOO, optional
  • ~ 1 TBS honey or agave nectar, optional

In large bowl toss together vegetables. In separate small to medium bowl, combine plain nonfat yogurt, mayo, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and EVOO and honey, if desired. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat. Then add raisins or craisins and nuts mix until combined. Enjoy.

When you make these salads, I'd love to get your feedback.

To Your Best Health,

Melissa Guthrie

Triumph Training Nutrition Coach & Fitness Trainer

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Hi Melissa!

After your awesome class last week, I resolved to eat better and more often! I made the black bean salad last night, and served it over spinach leaves. I didn't put in the green chilis, but added about 1 1/2 T of lime juice and two tomatoes chopped up--it got great reviews, and I loved that it was so healthy and delicious! Thanks for the ideas!

Melanie Mortensen

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Melissa Guthrie said...

HI Melanie. I am delighted to hear of your resolve. I hope you are still making healthy choices and feeling the positive effects.

To Your Best Health,

Melissa Guthrie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home